Department of Mathematics and Informatics
The Mathematics and Informatics Department in the Faculty of Economics of Agricultural University – Plovdiv was founded with Rector’s order RD-18-02/09.01.2018 based on the decision of the Academic Council of the University since 27.11.2017 and 22.12.2017.
The Department realizes teaching of 32 obligatory and chosen disciplines in three basic sciences: Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics.
Mathematics. Mathematics offer education with various curriculums for the students of different specialties of the university and gives basic knowledge on mathematical methods used in the theoretical and applied teaching disciplines.
Informatics. The teaching in Informatics is carried out on bachelor, master and doctor degree levels of the University. The students study theoretical and applied aspects of the modern informatics and computer sciences, which can be useful for the education in various specialties of AU and in students’ realization in the practice. The educational subjects allow flexible respond to the requirements for knowledge and skills in the informatics and their application in agriculture, natural sciences, engineering, economics, management and tourism. The students’ training in the field of the informatics is directly related to the young specialists’ interests and the requirements of the society and business.
Statistics. It acknowledges the students with theoretically-methodology matter and possibilities for practical application of the statistical approach for investigation of the status, trends and prospects in the phenomena development in the fields of economics, natural sciences and agricultural sector.
Scientific research activity
1. For the Mathematics it is orientated towards:
- Theory of numbers, theory of coding and group algebras;
- Algebra structures, Abelian groups;
- Differentials geometry; Riemannian manifold with additional tensor structures;
- Mathematical and statistical methods and their applications for data analysis from the field of agriculture and economics.
2. For the Informatics it is orientated to some fundamental directions of the computer sciences with possibilities for their application in the natural and agricultural sciences and practice. The most significant are:
- Algorithms and software systems;
- Relational databases, multidimensional databases;
- Information systems;
- Software packages;
- Data integration and software;
- Data mining and text mining approaches with application in the natural sciences;
- Spatial and temporal analysis of databases.
The studies in the mentioned scientific topics will be extended by searching new genuine solutions by developing software systems, applying modern approaches for knowledge extraction and creating algorithms for management complex data structures. It will include information objects from natural sciences and agriculture.
3. For the Statistics it is orientated towards:
- Statistical and econometric analysis in the economics, natural sciences and the agriculture;
- Statistical data processing and analysis in the field of agricultural;
- Biostatistics (Biometry);
- Statistical and econometric software;
- Time series analysis.
The department keeps professional relations with the other departments of the AU, with the faculties of mathematics and informatics in Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”; Plovdiv University “Paisii Hilendarski”; Computer systems and technologies department of the Technical University – Sofia and Plovdiv; the University of National and World Economy-Sofia etc. Our Department keeps professional connections with institutes of Bulgarian Academy of Sciences as follows: Institute for robotics, Institute for parallel data processing and Institute for population and human studies etc.
The department supports relations with academic institutions from abroad and the most intensive of which are with:
- Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague, Department of Information Enginеering;
- School of Computing, The University of Portsmouth, Great Britain etc.
- TEI – Thessaloniki and Agricultural University of Athens, Greece;
- Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Information Theory and Automation;
Programs at master and doctor’s degree:
- In the Mathematics and informatics department the doctor program in Informatics is accredited for the period 2016 -2021 by the National Agency of assessment and accreditation.
- Master program „Information systems and technologies in plant protection“ is approved by Academic council of Agricultural university.
In the “Mathematics and Informatics” Department English language education is carried out in:
- Master program „Plant medicine”, teaching discipline “Databases in Plant protection”;
- ERASMUS+ program and other bilateral government agreements for student exchange.
Head of Department
Higher mathematics is teaching discipline for students in “Agricultural economics”, “Business economics” and “Regional management” of the Economic faculty of AU – Plovdiv. Its content ensures a quite easy transition from the mathematical materials in the secondary education/ ...
The study of the data models, architecture, principles of database design and systems for database management leads to acquiring of knowledge and practical skills by the students from the modern information technologies. This teaching discipline includes not only popular and ...
This teaching discipline consists of the following basic topics:
- Basic terms in Informatics. Algorithms and data structures;
- Arithmetical basics of the Informatics. Mathematical logic. Significa ...
The interest of the specialists in “Tourism” to the modern informatics and information technologies is based on their striving to enrich the knowledge and skills in this field and on the increasing requirements for precise and reliable information in their operational and man ...
- for the specialty “Agricultural engineering”
This teaching discipline aims at acquiring profound knowledge and skills regarding modern information technologies and their application in engineering. It is achieved by s ...
The acquired knowledge are actively used in the subjects Physics, Economics, Mechanics, Drawing and machine elements, Heat engineering, Automation in agricultural, etc.
The goal of the course Regional systems modeling is the students to acquire basic knowledge in the sphere of the regional systems modeling and application of the economy-statistical models when optimizing the production of the various sub branches. The students get to know wi ...